See Mel Sew

See Mel Sew:

Where I come to share my creativity with whoever is looking.



Wednesday, October 22, 2014

#WIP (Works in Progress OR Why I Procrastinate)...

I've been struggling in the crafty department lately!  Not even gonna lie.  I have all these ideas percolating in my crafty little brain, and I see all these lovely things online that people make...but when it comes to my down time, I'm EXHAUSTED!!!!

 Some of you who read this may relate and then some may say I don't even know what exhausted is.  I'm an unmarried woman without children who has a fairly cushy desk job--it's more mentally taxing than physically taxing.  My live in boyfriend cooks and does more than his share of the house chores and the only ankle biter I have is my fluffy Shichon, Simon.  But I think the spreadsheets and data auditing at the office have just eaten a little hole in my brain straight through my will to craft.  


That does not mean that I haven't done anything over the last month or so, just that I start something and leave it abandoned in my sewing room as a sad, #wip or work in progress.  I have many of them floating around and I think its about time I get the nerve up to finish a couple.  Two are quilts tops that must be basted and then officially begin their lives as real quilts.  One at my home and the other to go off and live with a dear friend as a surprise gift.  I'm nervous to start quilting them though, because I love them so much like they are right now.  That seems silly.  But they're pretty hanging against the walls.  I don't want to muddy them up.

 I'm a novice quilter.  I'm a figure it out as I go, sewer...so new territory always trips me up a bit.  Finding a place in my little house to baste is also a bit problematic.  I'm not sure where to do it. 

I have a love affair with foxes.

 Maybe on my bed, for the big top, but empty floor space in my home is hard to come by with dogs and furniture and little cottage rooms.  

Then there are the organization projects I've been trying to do.  Like any good hobbiest, I have so much more material goods than I actually ever would need.  So I need places to store those goods.  And organizing my fabric and clearing some out our using it up in a productive way has been on my mind and my to-do list of late.  I purchased two hideous mid-century metal cabinets from a local antique store, Three French Hens in Nolensville, TN.  I love the store!  Great ladies and amazing merch...but these cabinets are rusty and busty and one was spray painted John Deere green!  

Ewwww.

 So they truly needed some love before they could be considered usable.  So I'm working to recover them in maps and old sewing circulars so that I can use them for fabric storage.  I'm using a Pinterest recipe for decoupage
Simon helps, when he can--but he doesn't have any thumbs!  
(watered down Elmers glue) to paste my chosen medium onto the cabinets.

Delicious!

Found these fun maps abandoned at my school.  Someone even used them and drew/highlighted on them. <3

I watch Netflix while I work to stave off boredom.  OITNB was my jam for 2 glorious weeks!
 Once I'm finished, I'll use a varnish from the hardware store.  I could use more decoupage, but I'm not in love with the matte finish it has right now.  The cabinets the perfect size for my room and will help me keep things off the floor and away from Simon!  My favorite thing about this project is the funny little ads that I'm finding in the sewing circular from the 60's.  Women are still so similar in what we buy and how marketing appeals to us.
A monkey?!?! For $20 bucks? WTF???


And while some of my weekend days are spent on the couch binge watching old episodes of The Killing, I also day dream about other new projects I'd like to start all the while my old ones sit neglected right above me in my upstairs craft corner.  Here's the short list:

  1. Circa 1934 fabric (Cosmo Cricket) blanket of some sort--I have enough of this stock piled to make a fun front and back quilt...maybe various swoon blocks. 
  2. 2 different Cotton+Steel projects:  August and Mustang fabric on hand that I'm drawing up ideas for.
  3. I thrifted a ton of purple/blue/stripe mens dress shirts to make a fun patchwork project to be backed with a vintage sheet that I bought on Instagram.
Basically I have a problem with finishing what I start.  Boo!  Anybody else do this too? Am I alone?  

No comments:

Post a Comment